April 19, 2011

Today, something interesting happened; someone felt threatened by my masculinity and was compelled enough to do something to try and put me down.

Okay. Maybe he wasn't threatened by my masculinity. Maybe its just me getting ahead of myself. Maybe he is just providing sound advise to the other person involved. Maybe.

So, here goes.

It was 11.30am and I was in the hangar with my group doing our aircraft design manufacturing project (we were really just building aircraft models, not that much of a big deal). We were there since 10.30am trying to get our goddamn dodo-bird-of-a-model to fly. Then, one of those moments came where suddenly, my services wasn't required by the group, in other words, I had nothing to do. So I sat at the table minding my own business, mainly just stoning.

Awhile later, this other girl from my group suddenly had nothing to do as well. So she came over and sat next to me. I chatted with her for abit and she asked if she could see my mobile phone because she wants to get a BlackBerry after her mobile plan ends later this year. Naturally, I just took my phone out and lent it to her. It was just a friendly gesture on my part, but not that friendly in the eyes of another member in my group.

Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery saw her borrowing my phone and felt the need to do something. Like a chivalrous knight rushing to the aid of a princess who is about to be devoured by an evil dragon, he came up to our table and sat next to her, telling her that BlackBerry is no good and she should consider getting an Android phone.



I believe in free choices and that everyone has the freedom to choose what gadgets they want to own. So I thought maybe Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery was just trying to give the princess more choices by telling her about his phone. But, that was not the case.

When Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery realized that the girl was still looking at my BlackBerry even after he spoke up, he pressed on.

Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery: "Hey, BlackBerry useless one. Don't buy. Android better."

Princess: "No, its not useless. I like it."


Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery: "Yeah, I know it looks nice but really, I feel that for the price you pay, you are getting damn little back in terms of functionality."

Princess: "Really? But I like the BBM."


Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery: "The BBM useless one. Nobody uses it. Android got Whatsapp. Better. Don't buy BlackBerry. Useless one."


Princess: *Continues looking at my BlackBerry*



Throughout the conversation, Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery tried showing his phone to her but the princess wasn't really interested. Well, she took a glace at it. You know, somehow I feel that if Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery can grab my BlackBerry from her and throw it away, I am sure he would.

To make an absolute claim such as "BlackBerries are useless" reflects his lack of knowledge in the field of mobile technology. In other words, he is merely shooting his mouth off, without using his head. And what's with selling what he is using so vehemently to the girl? Maybe he is a die-hard Android fan. I can give him that. But the last I remembered, he enjoys playing Angry Birds on his iPod touch.

To top it all off, he said all those in front of yours truly, the owner of the BlackBerry phone, and in a condescending tone as well. Wow. Things couldn't get any more subtle.

I really cannot comprehend what Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery is trying to get at. I wanted shoot him back but then realized there is no point in doing so. After all, the girl still wasn't interested in getting an Android phone.

Okay. So I might be thinking too much into the actions of Sir Encarnacion Percival Montgomery. But can I be blamed for thinking that way?

No comments: