January 24, 2008

Hah. From dragonboater to a patient in Tan Talk and Sing Hospital. What a drastic polar shift eh?

Anyways, when I woke up yesterday morning, I was feeling a bit heh-bei heh-bei already. I felt feverish. In other words, I am ill! Not eel but ILL! It was 7am then. My training begins at 10am.
So I thought I would go consult FREE medical services at Tan Talk and Sing Hospital to see if my condition is serious or not.

I wash my faced, brushed my teeth and took a cab down to TTSH. I was just feeling too lethargic and lousy to take a bus at that time. But I was momentarily returned to life when I arrived at the hospital entrance. Not because the hospital has a healing sphere around it that can cast cure on sick people in close proximity.

BUT BECAUSE THE FREAKING CAB FARE IS $6.00! WHAT THE HECK!

If you guys been to my place before, you would know how close TTSH is to my house. A bus ride would cost around $0.65. And if I want to take it to the extreme, I can even WALK there for FREE. Its almost a 600 PERCENT inflation when I take a cab! What is Singapore coming to? Goodness gracious me. And they still dare to say cabbies are having a hard time!? BULLMANURE!

As the saying goes "If you are a poor man, you either die or live. Because if you were to fall sick, it would be very expensive."

OK. So after that I went to registered with the counter and proceeded into the waiting room to wait. It was 7.30am.

*tick-tock*

8am

*tick-tock*

8.30am

*tick-tock*

9am

*tick-tock*

9.30am

PS: I am reminded of Gwen Stefani. "What you waiting for?"

ARGH! Hello! I am a dying patient here. OK maybe not a dying patient but still a patient patient and my patience is running thin! 2 hours passed and its not my turn yet! But there is like what - about 8 patients in the entire waiting room? What is this man. So much for being a "service with a smile" country!

"No free lunch in the world." Yeah, I second that. I get to seek free medical services but I have to pay with my time!

By then I already felt better (Maybe TTSH do have a healing sphere after all) and I am pissed with waiting. So I decided to go for my training at Kallang River.

PS: The water is freaking salty! But its too small to be called a sea. So thats why Kallang River? Why not Seaver or something.

So off to rowing I went and row I did. Yeah, feels shiok to feel the river breeze and to row again. Blah blah blah. We docked at 12pm for lunch. By then I started to feel heh-bei heh-bei again...

OK. Something's definitely wrong with me. I seek permission from my trainer to report sick and off I went to happy little hospital where the staff all have the surname Tan and they love to Talk and Sing.

I was half expecting them to ask me why did I left in the morning and why did I come back now. But none of this happened. That means they don't really keep a record of people coming in and going out? So guys, next time if you have nothing better to do, then go disturb TTSH. Just register and go then come back again and do is as many times you want LOL.

This time, I waited for 1 hour. Not bad. Got improvement.

"Yong Cheng Jin" "Yong Cheng Jin"

I went into the doctor's room and - Not bad. At least got someone nice to look at in the hospital.

Nice doctor: "Whats wrong with you?"

Me: "Fever."

Nice doctor: "Sore throat?"

Me: "Nope. just fever. No sore throat, no cough, no aches. Just plain fever and abit of runny nose."

Nice doctor: "Runny nose?"

Me: "Yeah. It sort of just infected me while I was waiting just now."

Nice doctor: "..."

Ok nevermind, the whole dialogues is gonna take pages!

So anyway, the doctor took a sethoscope and touched my back. He told me there is something wrong with my heartbeat. I was like "huh? is everything ok?"
He assured me that there is nothing wrong with me. But I need to be X-rayed to be sure. How ironic..

So he put me on a bed and agot a nurse to roll me into the X-ray room. While I was being rolled, I can see the lights and fans on the ceiling whirling past me. Interesting. I saw these scenes on TV before but now that I experienced it.. its no big deal.

So, I was X-rayed and after that, I was pushed to one corner in a room to rest while the X-ray is veing evaluated. I was put on drip and for the first time, I had a needle up my vein in my left arm!

The doctor pushed it carefully and swiftly into my vein and I witnessed the whole procedure.

Not that its very painful but it just feels funny. Its akin to someone stuffing a cucumber up your anal cavity. Yeah. Something like that. And I din't know I was dehydrated. Hmm.

The 2hours wait in that resting corner would have been boring if not for this pretty nurse! Her name is Celine and she's a trainee nurse from NYP. How do I know? I read her nametag. Surprisingly, I can still notice such minor details in my feverish state. But shes really cute. Ahhhhhh. She even took my temperature for me. How sweet. and my blood pressure. and my pulse rate as well. I bet she must be the reason my hearts acting weird.

haha ok kidding. moving on...

In the room that I was in, there were several other patients. Around 4 to 5. And all of them are senior citizens. and for some reason, they kept staring at me. I bet you are thinking what I am thinking eh. A young man... inside this resting room full of senior citizens?

Am I dying! NO. dun be dumb. WHY SHOULD THE WORLD EXIST WITHOUT ME! THAT WOULDNT BE FAIR! Someone's feeling abit godlike here.

So, after that two hours, the nice doctor came again and he told me that I can go home now because my lungs appear to be OK from the x-rays. However, the x-ray will be forwarded to a radiologist for closer scrutiny. If there is anything wrong, I will be called back again. He also added that I have an infection but he do not know where that infection is because I only have one sympton; fever. So he presribed some antibiotics and paracetomol for me and off I go out of the hospital.

Bye bye Celine.

It was around 5pm.

I was very hungry after that cause I only ate a piece of bread from morning till now. So I went to eat Pizza Hut. But hey, there is no sore throat and the doctor did mentioned "Don't worry about the food. Eat what you want." And just nice, I have a craving for some pizza so yeah.

No comments: