March 07, 2010

The Glasgow Smile.











Does it sound like a new film to you? Or a cocktail? Or the name of a ship? A painting? A monument? A person? The name of a band?

Hahahaha... I bet you all my FE1003 notes that whatever you are thinking of, it is not the right answer.

This innocent name has a not so innocent definition...











The Glasgow Smile is a nickname for the result of cutting the face of a victim from the edge of his mouth to his ears. Remember Joker from Batman? The cut, and the scars it leaves, resembles an extension of a smile. How cute. Wait... there is more.

Sometimes, to further hurt, or even kill, the victim, he would be stabbed in the stomach or kicked in the groin (for men) so that his face will be ripped apart when he screams. And why is it called the Glasgow Smile? Because the practice originated from the city of Glasgow, Scotland.

This is a cruel, if not, inhumane, way of treating another person. But I guess its an effective tool of fear because I am disturbed by it. Especially the thought of my face ripping apart. Ouch. Well, I guess to make it less cruel, we can tickle the victim instead of stabbing/kicking him. At least he will have a moment of joy before finding his face split in two. Hey, if he is lucky, he might be able to hold his laughter and save his face!

Ha! I sure know how to improvise. And I shall name this new method of torture...

Jin's Grin!

No comments: