February 19, 2012

As the ancient Chinese saying goes: 人外有人,天外有天.

Basically, it means that no matter how good you think you are, there will always be someone else who will be better than you.

I am perfectly aware that I am not as perfect as I think I am and that there are others who are definitely better than me in certain aspects of life but tonight, I was really humbled by what I discovered.

Still being a vibrant young man with a scorching penchant for living life to the absolute fullest and illuminating everyone around me with my fiery vitality at the highest possible discharge rate of my youthfulness till the point when I stop being young and start becoming old (dafuq did i just wrote), I tend to get a little over my head when I find out I am better at something than most average people. A mini ego if you would. I am sure I am not the only one with that. Right?

This mini ego of mine got crushed into a vigintillion pieces and tossed into the deepest, darkest abyss of the godless underworld tonight. It was a wake up slap and as with all kinds of slaps, it definitely didn't felt good. I can't speak for those who are into SM though.

But the pain was only transient. For after the pain, a seemingly unlimited, endless flow of determination gushed forth from within my inner self, spurring me on to work harder, harderer and hardererer in order to exceed the rest, or at least reach their ranks.

However, that gush of motivational energy disappeared almost instantly as it had appeared and I am reduced to my initial state of self-pity, self-loathing and self-immolation. It really seems to be unlimited and endless after all.

Ok, never mind about me and my emo spasms. My point is, we should never be afraid to recognize that we are not as good as others. This is life, nobody can be perfect in everything and nobody can be imperfect in everything as well. Sometimes, we have to throw away our egos in order to better ourselves.

But is hard work itself enough to change ourselves?

No comments: