March 05, 2012

Imagine having to wake up at 5.40am every morning, leave your house by 6.40am to catch the train at 7.05am to catch the bus at 7.15am to reach your work on time at 7.55am. Once you arrived at your workplace, you have to sit down at your desk and pretend to be doing something/entertain yourself until someone has something for you to do or until 5.30pm, whichever happens first.

And when you have something to do, it is as brainless as editing certain sentences/statements in Microsoft Word and checking for errors in things such as the date, page number and the likes. It will probably take you at most 30 minutes or so? And then after that, you are back to the pretending game.

Let's not mention that such simple tasks can actually be done and completed easily by the person who delegated them to you in the first place, which leads you to wonder if you are merely just a handyman in the office where people push all sort of work which they themselves do not want to do to you, or they are just trying too damn hard to find stuff for you to do so that you may 'learn' something during your internship.

Microsoft Word editing skills. How useful.

That is my current predicament. A 110% waste of my time. Having nothing to do everyday. Having brainless stuff to do once in a while. Having to endure the presence of an obnoxious co-intern. Having to vex over how I could put my time to much better use.

It is so bad, I abso-fucking-lutely dread having to go to work everyday now. Really. But its ok. I just have to go through this brainless routine for 2 more months.

On second thought, that isn't very motivational. If any, it is extremely de-motivational.

And to think I will be graded for my internship. How they hell are they supposed to grade me when they have nothing concrete/useful for me to do? How best I pretend to be busy? How long did I remain awake at work? At the end of the day, I guess my internship grade will not truly reflect my performance there. Or what I have learnt for that matter.

Even so, I really need an A in order to pull my GPA up because the weightage of this internship is quite significant. Any grades below A and my GPA will drop. Will it be fair for me if I am given, say, a B as a 'standard grade' for every intern since we all have nothing much to do? No.

But alas, the world has never been fair.

Goodness. Its going to be Monday soon. And I have to wake up at 5.40am. For the next 5 days. Until the weekends...

Just like how Rose and Cybil have to hide in the Church in Silent Hill to escape from Pyramid Head, the weekends is now my Salvation from the abject sloth and mental degradation during the weekdays.

Life is short. I shouldn't have to waste it on meaningless things like this. Who is going to compensate me for this loss of my precious time?

Nobody, unfortunately. Another case of just following the system.

How sweet.

How distasteful.

No comments: