May 18, 2012

I bought a cake on my way home today wanting to give my mother a surprise since I didn't gave her anything during Mother's Day last Sunday and kinda felt bad about it.

It was a cute little ice cream cake in the shape of a heart with a rose as a decoration on top of it. The cake is chocolate flavored and the ice cream inside it is chocolate mint. Not wanting the cake to melt on my way home, as well as being exceptionally exhausted, I took the bus home instead of walking the usual route home. I thought I could give my mom a pleasant surprise.

Well. It was just a thought.

When I reached home, she was putting on her shoes at the doorstep, getting ready to go somewhere. She asked me what did I brought home and I told her it was a cake for her since I didn't get anything for her on Mother's Day, to which she replied:

"Over already then you buy"

"You don't want then I eat the cake myself lor"

"Yeah please eat yourself"

"-.-"

Her indifference irritated the shit out of me. I bought something to make it up to her specially and she doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about it. And her retorting me to eat the cake myself, which was only a joke on my part, irritated me even more so.

I never like being challenged when I was trying to be jovial. Ok maybe plus a tint of sarcasm as well. But I wasn't serious about eating the cake myself. 

I had a good mind to throw the cake on the floor in front of her. But I got the better of my anger.

Before she left, I asked her what time will she be back. She replied 12am or so and then left. So much for giving her a pleasant surprise. Instead, I think I gave myself a few more strands of white hair and wrinkles.

Anyway, I thought I will just leave the cake in the fridge and she can eat it tomorrow and hopefully, still be pleasantly surprised because she haven't seen the cake yet.

Another thought.

Before heading to bed just now, I decided to check on the cake in the fridge. Call it a hunch. An omen. My sixth sense. A man's intuition. Whatever.

Turns out there is a purpose for checking on the cake. It melted in the fridge. That's when I realized an ice-cream cake should be stored in the freezer. Nobel Prize for me, anyone?

The originally cute heart-shaped cake disintegrated into a form not unlike that of a mushed up brain, except its chocolatey and minty instead of bloody. And the innards spilled itself all over the shelf in the fridge. And I had to clean the mess up. Well, at least it was a fine surprise for me.


In the midst of cleaning up, the innards, being liquid, dripped all over the fridge. To think I had intended to sleep early to recover lost sleep from the past few days.

Yet another thought again.

And they say one should always think good thoughts. The way I see it, the disappointment of not having your good thoughts manifest itself can irritate your mental self to quite a large extent, for me at least. Perhaps I should start thinking negative, morbid thoughts. That way, even if they do manifest themselves, I have already expected them. And if the opposite of those thoughts occur instead, it would be a bonus for me.

Yeah that sounds legit. I am going to die in a car crash on my way to work later on in the morning. The culprit will be driving a Lamborghini. And he is a foreigner. Probably from China.






Well, at least I had some fun with the dry ice that comes with the cake's packaging, albeit some rather expensive dry ice.

No comments: