August 06, 2007

This is bad. I have been inflicted with Otitis externa.

Otitis externa(aka Swimmer's ear), is the inflammation of the outer ear and ear canal. Inflammation of the skin of the outer ear canal is the essence of this disorder. The skin of the bony ear canal is unique, in that it is not movable but is closely attached to the bone, and it is almost paper thin. For these reasons it is easily abraded or torn by even minimal physical force.

Inflammation of the ear canal skin typically begins with a physical insult, most often from injury caused by attempts at self-cleaning or scratching with cotton swabs, hair pins, keys, or other small implements.

Another causative factor for acute infection is prolonged water exposure in the forms of swimming or exposure to extreme humidity, which can compromise the protective barrier function of the canal skin, allowing bacteria to flourish; hence the name, "swimmer's ear".

Oh man. i wished I had read this article earlier. Yesterday at home, I was still happily poking my ear with cotton sticks, trying to dig out ear wax(even though there was none, I just like the ticklish feeling) in an attempt to alluviate the pain in my right ear. And because I thought since it was swelling, I kept flooding my ear with water while bathing, hoping to "cool" down the swelling. Ack. Not a good move. Damn! No wonder the pain got worst this morning.

Stupid me. heck. Argh!

The following paragraph might be useful to some of you guys:

"A natural question is, "How can I clean my ears, then?" It is well established that in most people the top layer of the ear canal skin normally migrates toward the ear opening, essentially sweeping the canal on a continuing basis. In other words, a normal ear canal is self-cleaning. This self-cleaning physiologic feature fails in some patients, especially in late life, and periodic cleaning by a physician can be necessary. The most controlled and least painful means of cleaning impacted wax or dead skin from the ear canal is by using a binocular surgical microscope, which frees the examiner's hands to instrument the ear and provides the magnification and depth perception needed to avoid traumatizing the delicate canal skin and eardrum."

Visit wikipedia for more detailed explanations.

I still can't accept my retardedness in doing the exact opposite things to "cure" my right ear. Should have used "Esuna" or something like that... haha

No comments: