October 16, 2007

"Every time after school during my junior college days, I would walk down Bartley Road to the bus stop next to Thomson Road. From there, I would take bus service number “131” home.

Every time I want to watch a movie, I would take bus service number “131” to the Shaw Plaza cinemas at Balestier Road. Along the way, I would pass by Thomson Medical Centre, Novena Square and United Square.

I passed by those buildings again today, not as a student going home on a bus, not as a civilian going out to have fun but as a police officer patrolling the streets in a police car.

A police officer with a mission; to eradicate crime and strike fear in all those that are inclined to criminal activities."

All right, the above paragraph was meant to be on this blog about one week ago on the 5th of October but I was lazy to type it then. Never mind never mind, it made it here today. You guys read it so I guess its fine.

Anyway its the introductory paragraph for my attachment report in case you are all wondering what the fish am I typing about. I was attached to Tanglin Police Division from the 5th to the 14th of October as part of my training for National Service Probationary Inspector.

We had a Scenario Based Training this morning. The squad was divided into two groups, the role players and the police officers. The role players would create trouble and the police officers were to attend to the scene of incident. This SBT further reinforces what I have already learnt during my attachment.

A police officer must really expect the unexpected. We do not have a single universal guideline on how to attend to cases. All cases are different and unique by itself. Therefore, it is imperative for us to have a flexible mind, initiative and foresight. We must also remember the 3 "C"s - Cool, Calm and Collected because as police officers, we must be in control of the situation and not let the situation control us. This can happen only when we have a clear thinking mind.

Then again, I don't think I am gonna sign on. So I guess it doesn't matter.

No comments: