October 24, 2008

Money is the root of all Evil. Money makes the world goes round. Cash is King. Money is not everything but you are nothing without money.

These are the most common descriptions about money which I've heard since young.
Money money money.

It is really such a strange thing.
I remembered when I was young, I did not worry about money. Not at all. My parents were the ones keeping the book for me. They will decide what I need to buy and what I don't. Of course, as a child then, I simply obeyed my parents.

Then I started schooling and my parents started giving me allowances everyday. I had more freedom to choose how I want to spend my money now. Is it that bowl of wanton mee to exorcise my hunger during recess or that pack of trading cards after school to duel my friends with? I don't know if its just me or everyone else but once we have the priviledge to choose, I tend to become unsure of what I want.

That is when I realise that I do not have enough.

If I get this, I won't be able to get that. Maybe I should just get both of them but wait, I do not have enough money. When I don't have enough, I will wish that I have more.

But it is alright. Things are still manageable back then. After all, the things which I wanted as a schooling teenager were not exhorbitantly expensive. With a thrifty mindset and some coaxing skills, sometimes I can still get what I want.

As I grow older, I began to feel that it is inappropriate to keep drawing allowances from my parents. It might sound embarassing but I only stopped taking money from my parents after JC. But it was only then that I understand that I should work for what I want. No more spoon-feeding. Time to get my ass to work. I am no longer a teenager.

Naturally, the things which I desire are becoming more expensive; cell phones, gaming consoles, branded stuff, good food, cars etc. With a minuscule amount of monthly income now (courtesy of the Singapore government), it is clear that I cannot satisfy what I want. This is when I understand the mojo of money; it fulfills your desires. Maybe not all, but definitely part of it.

However, like a double-edged sword, money, or rather the lack of it, can be the source of your woes too. During this past year, I have come to understand that you are nobody until you become somebody and one of the things that can make you a somebody is money. Lesser money not only means lesser material comfort but also changes your stature.

Oh would you look at that fellow. Look at those clothes he is wearing. Giordano? Hang Ten? No no, I bet it is some cheap stuff from a bargain store. He must be a poor fart! Ha ha!

I am sure you must have had such bad experience at one point of another in your life. You are being criticized for not being able to afford expensive things. In other words, for being un-wealthy. What is wrong with being a person who has an average income? Nothing! With all due respect, we are the backbone of our country's economy mind you! Sadly, the problem lies with our society. This society, with its Elites (you know, those people with many money and thinks they are the Oracle), is too quick to judge and will not hesistate to stereotype blindly. Suddenly, having a luck of money is no longer an individual's problem. Instead, it has become the society's. Then again, I guess it is the same everywhere else. So there is no point complaining.

So, I am going to work hard. Earn many money. And I really mean many. So much that I can burn $10,000 bills for fun. Seriously, it feels abyssmal to be belittled and criticized by others. I am going to show them!

Funny. When I was a kid, I used to believe that it is alright to live a mundane life. There is no need to bother about what others say. Everything is fine as long as I am happy. But that is no longer the case now. People really change.

Life as a kid is so much better. I do not have to worry about anything because my parents are always there to handle everything for me. I wish I could go back in time.

But everyone has to grow up eventually.

No comments: