October 30, 2008

My script for tomorrow:

Hello everyone. How time flies. A year ago, I was on Pulau Tekong digging sanitary holes during my field camp. After that I underwent several months of police training at HTA and then here I am today, attending this ORD ceremony with all of you.

I am Cheng Jin and I am the OC Security. I am sure you have seen me around at one point or another in the division. My main role is to supervise the daily operations of the DSU officers.
This OC Security posting is actually a new posting for the OCTs. It is one of the several new frontline postings which are given to us in addition to the usual staff postings. In essence, we are the running pilot trials for these new postings.

To be a supervisor is something totally new for me because I never held any leadership position back when I was in school. I did not work any outside jobs before as well. So I was rather apprehensive when I was posted here. I do not know where I should start from. It was all Ground Zero for me. Fortunately for me, I have a very experienced colleague sitting next to me in the office. Our DSO Lawrence was formerly the OC Security way before me. He showed me the ropes and will assist me to solve any problems which I ran into. He is something like the behind the scenes man, supporting me from the dark. Then there is also my boss, ASP Ben who will drop me a couple of pointers every now and then as well.

Being a supervisor is definitely not easy. I must manage my men well so that they can keep the operations going. I need to deal with issues such as their welfare, morale as well as to look after those officers that are not so well off at home. Furthermore, the NS environment within my unit makes matters more challenging. Because all my officers are NSFs, I cannot choose who I want. Whatever Head PNS posts to my unit, I will have to take them in. Good or bad, willing or unwilling, they have all become my DSU officers. It is then my responsibility to do whatever I need to do to make them valuable assets to my unit.

Other than managerial skills, I also learned about the security system of our division, such as card access, CCTV just to name a few. The knowledge of these security systems are useful skills which might be helpful to me in future.

One of the more important lessons which I have learned is the responsibility which I shoulder as a supervisor. As a supervisor, I need to answer to my superiors and I have to be accountable for my subordinate’s actions. Sometimes, I may be given a demanding task. At times, my subordinates may give me problems. Whatever it is, I will need to solve the problems one way or the other. Of course, I am not saying that all superiors are mean and all subordinates are problematic. With the small trove of experience which I have accumulated over the past year, I believe I will be able to tackle any problems which I may face in future more effectively.

With that said, it was an enriching year I spent in Delta.

May I now invite all of you to stand up, look yourselves in the mirror and FUCK YOUR FACE!

No comments: