March 14, 2009

Alright I gave my essay a twist. Instead of going to Vatican City, I ended up going to Malaysia to eat durians. But when I was driving on the North South Highway, I suddenly saw a white figure behind me which looks like pontianak! Petrified, I jammed my accelerator and drove as fast as I could. A few minutes later, the white figure disappeared and I heaved a sigh of relief. I continued my journey and eventually reached the Durian Town. I went to a Durian Shop to buy my durians. After eating the durians, I fell asleep mysteriously and when I woke up the next morning, I was in the middle of a field! The Durian Town vanished! I had just met a ghost!

I wonder what my sensei will think when he reads my essay. Why do I feel that I am going to fail my mid-term test suddenly?

Today's reservist session was as boring as last week's. Although we had practical lessons today, the practical was as good as a classroom lecture because the instructors were the one carrying out the demonstrations and we students just stood and listen. Good news from my NS department - I won't have to go back for another 1 month. Bad news - I have to go back again in April and June. WTF?


The phone feels solid enough.

After waiting for 3 weeks, the Nokia 8800 Arte which I ordered online finally arrived! But to my absolute horror, the phone was not in BRAND NEW condition as the seller had claimed and my SIM card cant work on it! When I brought it to Nokia Care Centre to see if I can repair it or something, the service officer told me that they cannot repair/unlock/update the software of the phone for me because it is an export set from UK and Nokia does not carry International Warranty so they cannot tamper with phones that are not locally produced. I don't know how this company policy works but it only means one thing - I am screwed. The customer officer even went the extra mile to advise me to bring my phone to the UK for servicing. Wow. Thanks alot. You deserve a backhand slap for that.


Wow. Nokia decided to give the Arte packaging a vintage look.

So I went to Sim Lim Square today with my BEST COUSIN (now turned BEST FRIEND too) Sher to see if the not so legal shops there can help me with my problems. The first shop we went to have the bloody cheek to quote me $150 for unlocking my phone, citing the reason that because my phone is a luxury phone, the process will be more complicated and thus, more expensive. My Con-man, you can go f*&% yourself with a satellite phone. My Nokia 8800 is luxurious because of the materials used to manufacture it. Inside its core, the phone uses the same Symbian S40 series platform like most other common Nokia phones. You should count yourself lucky that I have already ORD-ed.

The next shop we went to does not provide any clandestine services. The third shop we went to told us that the unlocking fee will be between $30-$50 (Mr Con-man from earlier, I think you need to use a military communication set instead) but we need to hand over the phone to the shop for 2 to 3 days. I wanted to get my phone back immediately so I declined the offer. After that, we went to Sim Lim Tower but didn't have any luck either.

Sher suggested to me that it might be the SIM card's problem so I called up M1 and check with them. The customer officer advised me to bring my SIM card down to a M1 store where they can check for me. So off we went to Bugis M1 where it was revealed that the problem lies with my phone, not my SIM card. To put it simply, I just bought a phone which cant be used in Singapore. I think I deserve a prize for that -.-

MORAL OF THE STORY: Do not be tempted by cheap items on eBay and be careful when purchasing electronics from foreign countries as they might not work in our fine garden city.

I will be going back to SLS.


At least the phone is ...


... free of major scratches.


Whats with the crumpled booklet? And all those different types of plastic wrappers used to store the accessories? And a brown leather pouch for a black phone in a black box?


Is that a red pair of earpiece protector?


Looks can be deceiving.


This scratch on the charger dock must be Nokia trying to follow after LV's latest design - graffiti.

No comments: